Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Top Ten: Weightloss Milestones

My Mii on Wii Fit Plus with today's measurement. (that's equal to 148 lbs)
I have gone through many weight changes over the years. Between high school, the Navy, and having two kids, my weight has been a roller coaster, and neither my mind nor body are happy with that. I am always saying things like "I am going to change," and "I am starting a new workout program," but very rarely do I have the energy or motivation to stick to it.

Well, this time is different. This time, I have been faithful to my diet and exercise program for 30 full days as of tomorrow! I have much better habits (though I don't have all the good habits I want to have, but hey, baby steps here) and I feel much better about myself.

So in honor of my continuity, I am doing today's Top Ten on the milestones of weightloss that I am aiming for; small goals that I hope to reach throughout the next few months.

1.  Being healthy
I hope to be more physically active, eat smaller portion sizes, eat healthier foods-- including more fruits and raw vegetables-- and maintain a healthy weight. I like to think my Mii is smiling because she feels more healthy already too, and with her back to the screen she's analyzing my charts to make sure I'm staying on top of things! Haha.

2.  Endurance and Performance on Exercise Equipment
I get on my elliptical nearly every day. I set the bar at a minimum of 30 minutes a day, though the resistance and difficulty is up to me when I'm on it. My elliptical has a few preset workouts, ranging from 20-45 minutes, and tackling varying degrees of resistance. I tried one of the 30 minute programs and had to switch to a normal workout halfway through, because it was so physically trying. I want to be able to one day complete an entire 45 minute preset workout without feeling like I'm going to collapse.

3. Endurance and Performance in Real-World Activities
My driveway. It goes from the house, down the pasture, and curves around the lake till finally reaching the gravel road. It's 1/4 mile long, so I have to run down it and back three times to make a mile and a half.
When I was in the Navy, our Physical Fitness Assessment had us doing a minimum amount of push-ups and sit-ups within 2 minutes each, and running a mile and a half in a set period of time. The number of push-ups and sit-ups as well as the time limit for the run was based on gender and age. I could meet the requirements easily, except on the run. These days, I'm not sure if I could meet any of them. I want to be able to run a mile and a half in 12 minutes (that's going to take a while) but I'll be happy if I can at least do it in 20 minutes.

4.  Watching the Numbers Go Down

Most of the time, when you are trying to lose weight, you aren't going to be able to see a major difference in your body for a while, even when other people can already see it. So as a way to convince myself that I am not only losing weight but getting thinner as well, every 2 weeks I measure all the parts of my body that I want to see slim down. So far, I've lost almost 0.25" off every measurement, and a full 0.5" off my hips! I can't wait to watch those numbers continue to go down.


5. Dropping a Jean Size
The Special K Challenge I am somewhat taking boasts that you can lose an inch off your waist in just 2 weeks! Well, I'll be damned if it didn't work. I actually lost almost a full inch off my waist in the first 2-3 weeks. Not that I dropped a jeans size because of it; but I can feel my current pants are much more loose and I CAN actually pull up and zip the next size down.... though uncomfortably and with a very unattractive muffin top. I have a lot of clothes from my "smaller days", clothes that I just couldn't bear to let go of, and I will be happy the day I can fit into at least these 4 items: my old jeans, my black jean shorts, my form-fitting 3/4-sleeve shirt, and my Mossy Oak tee.

6.   Self-Appreciation
My Mii seems a bit chubby in this picture, doesn't she? She takes after me well...
I have never been happy with how I look. Except for in between having my kids, when I was the smallest I have been since the 11th grade. At that point, I was accepting myself, loving my body, loving my life, and proud of my accomplishments in weight loss. I want to reach that state of mind again. I want to be comfortable in my body, and proud of any weight loss I have, regardless of how small the change in weight or how long it takes me to lose it. Anything still counts as something, and it's an accomplishment. I have a feeling I won't truly appreciate or accept myself until I start reaching a few of these weight goals, but I know I can get there again. =)

Most of us who want to lose weight can remember exactly what we weighed at major points in our lives. I'm aiming to pass all of these weights:

7. Reaching 144 lbs
As of this morning, I am sitting at 148 lbs. I'm getting close! I weighed 144 lbs when I got out of the Navy. That was in 2007.

8. Reaching 137 lbs
When I graduated high school, and was about to join the Navy, they weighed me. I was at 137 lbs, which was what they recorded as my entry weight. That was in 2005. (Though if you'll notice, if I can pass 137 and reach 135.9, not only will I have reached my "pre-Navy" weight, but I will also finally cross the threshold from Overweight to NORMAL!!!)

9. Reaching 134 lbs
After I had my first son, before getting pregnant with my second, I got into working out and over 6 months I managed to go from 159 lbs down to 134 lbs. I was at 134 lbs when I got pregnant with my second son. That was in 2010.

10. Reaching 120 lbs
My major workout tool, the one that has encouraged me, recorded my efforts, and made workouts fun, is the Wii Fit Plus. Now, I'm a gamer girl, and when I get sucked into a game, I make it my life goal to defeat it. The Wii Fit Plus seems to taunt me-- laugh at me even-- because it's not a game I can just sit down with for 36 hours and be 90% through it. No, this one requires attention to real life, eating healthy, physical activity, and motivation to regain my self control and overall sense of self. According to the Wii Fit Plus, a healthy weight for me is 119.5 lbs. That is my "ideal" weight. I promise you Wii Fit, with the Internet as my witness, I WILL beat you in 2013. That is the year you are going DOWNNNNN!!!

1 comment: