Popular Posts

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Going to the River: Before

Okay, so we've been planning this weekend for a while now. My husband, my sister, and I were planning to go down to New Braunsfels to float down the Guadalupe River. We did it last year, and it was a lot of fun! But last year, I was a first time mother of a one year old, and I was too overprotective to leave him with someone else for the weekend. So last year we brought him with us, and we took turns floating. The first day, I floated downriver with my sister and our friend while the hubby watched our son in the tent. The second day, I traded places with the hubby and let him float with my sister and our friend while I stayed in the tent with our little boy.

This year, we not only have David (now 2 years old) but also Levi (only 2 months old). Even though I am still breastfeeding Levi, we agreed that it would be best to leave the kids with my hubby's mom for the weekend so we could enjoy some free time, with no kids. We had also invited some friends along, although sadly none of them could make it. It would be great this time, though, because last time I didnt get to spend any time with my husband all weekend.

Unfortunately, less than 24 hours before we leave, once again plans are ruined. It seems this happens to me a lot. Turns our, hubby's mom has to work this weekend. So we no longer have a baby sitter for the kids. So they are both coming with us to the River. Which means once again, we take turns floating. And once again, no time spent with the hubby. Yay.

So we're gonna try to make the best of this. I'm not sure how much our tent will fit, but we can bring the playpen/bassinett for the boys to sleep in together at night, or just to lay Levi down for naps. We can bring Levi's swing, for him to swing in to keep him occupied during the days. We can bring the portable DVD player for David to watch movies. We'll have to see what we can do in terms of keeping the boys cool. We already bought hot dogs and stuff for hamburgers, good thing we bought a little extra. Got sodas, need to pick up some bottled water.

I'm seeing this from two different sides. I'm disappointed that we can't all three float at the same time, so it doesnt seem like it'll be as much fun. And I'm sad that I don't get some time to myself, because I havent spent more than a few hours away from my kids, and since one of them is 2, I think it's about time mommy gets a mini vacation. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to leave my kids with someone else, because I've never been away from them for more than a few hours, and I dont know how they would react to suddenly having to be away from me for 2 entire days and nights! Besides, I didnt really have enough breastmilk stored up anyways, and even if we do have to take turns in the tent with the boys, I dont mind. It gives me some quality time with my kids, and who could complain about that? :)

So, I dont really know how things are going to work out yet. For all we know, we may not even stay at the river at all. It depends on where our spot is, and how the weather is. If we cant get a decent cooling system going on, then we're not going to let our boys suffer in the heat, we'll just head home and buy a pool. However one thing is for certain: However it works out, whatever we have to do to make it happen, we are GOING to see the final Harry Potter movie this weekend. Even if we have to wait till we get home and ask someone to babysit for a few hours, there is no way we're going to make it to Monday without having seen that movie!

Okay well, I guess I'll blog again after we get back to let you know how it went and what we did. Hope it all works out!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will wrk out! Sucks when people change plans at the last minute though. If you and mike want some time together leave the boys w/ Kasi, while y'all drift down the river together :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll find a way to make it work, and ya'll will have a great time, whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete