Popular Posts

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Our Time on the River

 We just got back from the Guadalupe River. Even with our unexpected change of plans, having to bring the boys along, everything worked out well and we had a lot of fun.


We got down to our campsite about an hour and a half before the sun went down, which gave us time to get everything set up and cool off in the water. A bit of forgetfulness (combined with lack of space in the car anyways) led to us having no way to actually cook our food, so we opted for dinner in town at Chili's rather than surviving the night on chips, nuts, soda, and water alone. Three hours, a plate of chicken fajitas, three plates of baby back ribs, and four full stomaches later, we were arriving back at our campsite, just in time for Levi to pass out for the night. While David kept himself entertained, I played dominoes with Mike and Kasi, first to 250 points. Mike won (getting exactly 250) then fell asleep while Kasi and I played out the rest of the game to see who would have come in second. Although I led the entire game, Kasi passed me up and landed exactly 250, just like Mike! Too tired to read the pips on the bones, we decided it was time for us to pass out as well.


Kasi and I woke up this morning just before 7 AM. We noticed some wild ducks floating by in our area, so we pulled out some bread and tossed them a few bits. They swam right up to the bank where we were sitting, and stayed with us until we were out of bread. After taking a short walk to the "nice" bathrooms (instead of the port-a-potties) we decided that the water looked inviting, and since the boys were still all asleep, we changed and waded out into the water. About an hour later, the boys began to wake up one by one, so we came back to camp and spent some time relaxing and being lazy. Kasi wanted a souvenir from the River and Mike wanted us to look for some inner tubes, so the two of us went to the little store where we ended up buying matching summer dresses and hats (and some of those can bottle tops, that turn a soda can into a bottle. Comes in VERY handy when you have honey bees stalking your cokes...) while Mike took David into the water. We came back with an inner tube for everyone (even a kid sized one for David!) and we spent the rest of the day lounging about in the water just outside our tent, taking turns holding David and checking on Levi. David is becoming SUCH a water baby! He went from being too afraid to let loose his deathgrip around our necks to being carefree, kicking the water and waving his arms.


Around 2-3 PM we got out of the water and began packing it all up for the trip home. And just in time, too, because the other river tourists who were floating down river today were just getting into our area, crowding the water, playing 3 different kinds of loud music, and shouting and laughing between groups. That atmosphere and festivity are actually a lot of fun, as we participated with other floaters last year, but this year with the kids we just wanted to have family bonding time rather than laugh with strangers. Sorry strangers, maybe next year.

On our way back home, who can resist swinging into Cabela's, the best outdoor/hunting store around! We pulled in to look around, and came out with a few new animals calls and some of their fresh made fudge. The time passed by quickly the rest of the drive home, as I read aloud from the book I'm currently reading, "Rise of the Horde" (which gives a bit of background on our favorite video game, World of Warcraft). By the time we got to the house and brought everything in, we wanted nothing more than to hop on the computers and spend the rest of the evening relaxing even more by spending time chatting with friends and family online, updating Facebook and Twitter statuses, posting to our blogs, and of course, playing on World of Warcraft. So here I am, Facebook and Twitter already updated, blogging to you now, before I sign into what I lovingly refer to as "warcrack". Although I think I'll take a break first and start up the grill (that was waiting patiently for us to return home for it) so we can cook the food that was meant for last night.

Kasi is waiting impatiently for me to post this blog now so she can read it (though I'm not sure why; she knows everything that's in it since she was there). We took lots of pictures at the River, and hopefully this upcoming week we will find the time to upload all of our pictures to Facebook. Look at us in our dresses and hats! As she would say, "we look foxy!" haha although as I would say, she looks cute and it just doesnt look right on me. Levi looks like he may have finally gotten some sun, and David has a bit of a tan. We also plan on going to Waco tomorrow, to see the much-anticipated final installment of Harry Potter, which was released to theaters midnight Thursday night. I'm sure we will look for a sitter for the boys first, but as we learned this weekend, we can manage. Not only that, but we will have a lot of fun no matter how things work out.

My sister Kasi on the left, me on the right
I still think I need a bit of a vacation from the kids for a while, even just for a couple of days (as every parent needs) but I'm very glad this weekend turned out the way it did. My little boys are growing up country, and I envy them the life they have at such an age. Next year, I think I will plan on bringing the kids. It might not have been the one-on-one time I needed with the hubby, or the freedom to spend time with my hubby and sister without worrying about the kids, but it ended up being a lot of family bonding time, with the younger ones, with my sister, and with my husband. ♥

I just have to say thank you, to life, to the universe, for ignoring what I wanted and giving me what I needed. Thank you so much. I am truly blessed to have what I do, the wonderful husband I cherish, my wacky sister I have so much in common with that I adore, and my two beautiful boys that I could not live without. Thank you. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment