Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What I Learned This Week From my 2 Year Old

My first son, David, is almost two years old. But my newborn boy, Levi, is almost two weeks old. I feel like I have learned more about parenting in the last two weeks than I have the entire last two years.

When I was sitting in the hospital bed holding my newborn, and my husband and I first introduced him to my oldest, I was afraid. I was afraid that my little man was going to be jealous of his new little brother, and that I was about to have my hands full. You have no idea how surprised I was at what really happened.

At first, my hubby and I took turns holding each boy and kissing each one, so that my little toddler knew that him and his brother were equally loved. He stared at us each in turn with a look that seemed to say "What on Earth are you kissing me so much for? It's just a baby." But over the next 24 hours, David wanted nothing more than to hug and kiss his little brother.

For the past two weeks, that is all I've gotten out of my oldest. He walks over to his sleeping baby brother and pats him on the hands or legs, touches his face, and leans over him with his mouth wide, slobbering all over his face while saying "mmmmmmmaaa" (his little sound he makes when he gives kisses). The response he's shown to a new baby has taught me to NEVER underestimate the power of a child's love.

David has also begun using all the toys that he never used when he was a baby. David has never taken a pacifier. Levi, on the other hand, took one almost instantly. So of course, now that David sees how much his younger brother loves it, he has started using one as well (although he only takes it to chew on and give himself something to do. It doesn't keep him quiet like it does Levi). The baby uses a vibrating bouncer to sit in that helps calm him down and keeps him happy. Unfortunately, I have to buy a new one just for David... because David now believes it is the most comfortable chair in the world, and it's BOUNCY! I can't put the baby in it without David getting upset because "the baby is in HIS chair". What that has taught me is that if you want a kid to do something or use something, you just have to show them how much fun it is.

I tested this theory just yesterday. David had been playing outside, when my husband brings him in saying that he cut his foot. I looked at it, at saw that it was about an inch long cut, and right on his heel. With as much as he loves to be outdoors, I knew that he was going to need it well taken care of so that dirty didn't get in it and infect it. I was easily able to clean it off and coat in in Neosporin, but when I put on the band-aid, the crying began. How else to get him to keep it on then for him to see mommy wearing one, too? So I slapped a band-aid onto my own foot, and it seemed to make him feel better.

I've also learned that it doesn't matter how many toys you buy, a child can be perfectly happy with almost nothing at all. My little man could spend hours just petting and staring at his little brother. I had thought that he wouldn't be happy playing with me unless I could give him my undivided attention. But a few days ago, I needed to feed my baby when David decided he wanted to play. He even came up with the perfect game, that allowed me to stay sitting down and feeding the baby, while still spending quality time with him and keeping him happy. He pulled my slippers off my feet one at a time, and I would say "Heeey! That's my slipper!" and he would laugh like it was the funniest thing in the world... then he would carefully put the slippers back on my feet, only to pull them off again. We went through this loop for almost half an hour. The simplest thing, isn't it?

I swear I learn more from my kids everyday... if only they knew just how much they teach me, and how they keep me young at heart. I love my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment