Popular Posts

Monday, March 19, 2012

Garden 2012: Planted!

Zombie apocalypse survivability: I have it.

In other words, I have officially planted my garden for the year! I had been hoping to plant a few weeks ago, with the first signs of spring, but hubby wanted to plow the garden one more time, then we had almost a week straight of nothing but rain, and it was too wet to even go outside to plant! But the rain has let up for a few days, and this morning the ground was dry enough that I could walk through the garden and get my seeds planted.

The ground for the garden, nice and plowed and even and ready for planting!

It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow, which means that my newly planted seeds will get their initial watering in the next few hours! Nature is helping me stay green by lowering my water bill! How nice. =)

Let's take a closer look at what we have going on this year.


These are all the seeds I planted. Like last year, I have a row of sunflowers and a row of corn, though this year I did 2 rows of each, side by side. The sunflower seeds I used were some of the ones I harvested from last year's sunflowers! I tested a few in a cup of water earlier this week, and every seed sprouted. I did the rest of the garden a bit differently. Instead of long rows of each veggie, I split the garden into 4 sections: peppers, tomatoes, squash and eggplant, and vines (cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkin, and cucumber). Each section has columns rather than rows, so it should be a little easier to keep track of everything and a lot less demotivating when I get to weeding in the upcoming months. After all, it's a lot easier to weed small columns rather than 80 ft long rows.

I decided this year I would leave out the in-ground plants, and make it a bit more simple. I don't think I'm quite ready yet for onions, potatoes, or carrots. We'll see about those in upcoming years. This year I also decided not to mess with transplanting. Some of the plants last year took to my soil very well, namely all the pepper plants and a few tomatoes. But nothing else survived when transplanted, and it forced me to then plant seeds much later in the season then they should have been planted. So it just made more sense to plant the seeds from the get-go. (Or should I say, the get-grow? Yeah I know, corny. Haha, Corn-y... Right, moving on then...)

I want to say we'll have a bit more luck this year, since there will be no goats or llamas stomping all over my veggies, and we still have our rabbit-fence put up to keep out any pesky wabbits--I mean, rabbits--that try to sneak in.

Well, let's give germination a chance to take effect, and let the sprouts reach the surface. I can't promise we'll have an update by this weekend, but keep a look out in the next few weeks for the first of hopefully many garden updates this year!

Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment