Popular Posts

Friday, June 4, 2010

Sweet (smelling) Dreams

I have been having some really weird dreams lately. All week long, actually. And I'm starting to think they mean something.

About a week ago, I had a dream. I don't even really remember much of what it was about, but I think there were people in it; maybe people I know, but no one that I recognized. Whatever happened, I woke up smelling smoke. Like, there was a fire. It was about 2 or 3 in the morning, and my instincts told me to run to the other bedroom and check on my son. Well, I did. And there was no fire. No smoke. I couldn't even smell it anymore. I went through the entire house sniffing left and right, and did not find anything that looked, smelled, or even felt burned or hot. Nothing. And no more smell of smoke. So I went back to bed; the rest of the night was peaceful.

A few days after that, I had another dream. This one definitely had people I knew. Old friends from back in Florida. And I was happy, wearing shorts and having a good time. It was a good dream. But for some reason, I smelled oil. Or maybe gasoline; but I remember knowing that it was the smell of oil. I woke up smelling it; and once again my instincts took over and I checked on my son. Nothing. Then I checked the entire house (again). Still nothing. And I hadn't smelled oil since waking up.

Then last night, it happened again. I woke up smelling smoke. This time, I knew I dreamed it. I don't know what I was dreaming about, just that I remember flashes of images and color and sound, but I woke up with the smell of smoke and just lay there for a moment, waiting to see if I could still smell it. And what do you know? Nothing. Of course, I checked on my son again just to be 100% sure. You can never be too careful, especially when it comes to your sense of smell.

Which starts me thinking. I used to not be so sensitive to smell. When I was first pregnant with my son, I got the heightened sense of smell that most pregnant women get. I could smell that we were low on propane 2 weeks before we ran out. I could smell a skunk before it was anywhere near the house. But I had my son almost a year ago, and I'm still noticing the heightened sense. Maybe it's because he's breastfed; maybe that has kept the hormones in my body and I'm still getting "pregnancy perks".

But is it possible... could the sensitive sense of smell have triggered something in my body that is allowing my dreams to have an extra sense in them? For me to be able to smell my dreams?! And why is it always smoke? I don't recall any fire or smoke or oil in the dreams. So why smoke?

Anyone with any answers, I could really use some right now. Until I find out why I'm smelling my dreams, I'll pray for sweet dreams and peaceful nights (or at least sweet smelling dreams).

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any fears having to do with smoke/or fire? They typically say dreams are you unconsouis self trying to wrk out your waking issues... hmm.

    Got this from dreamsleep.net

    Smoke Dream Meaning

    Psychological Meaning: Smoke is caused when a fire is stifled. Ask yourself what part of your self needs to come to expression. Let your true self shine.

    Mystical Meaning: A bad omen. Smoke brings disappointment unless you dream that it annoys you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie has a good point. Think on those things. If you are dreaming about smoke, or the smell of it, then you could be carrying the memory of the smell with you into consciousness, as you wake.

    On a paranormal note: check with the in-laws, has there ever been a fire in that house's history, involving oil? You could be experiencing "residual energy". Especially with all the construction and renovation you guys have been doing, you could be "stirring it up". I doubt that it's a "visitation", because I can't remember a single person in our family who died in a fire. Your great grandfather was a fireman, but I doubt he would come to you with that smell. He would bring the smell of cigarettes and strong coffee, whenever I had a visit from him.

    ReplyDelete